WOTW: back 4
| - Gorka Dieitz-Sanxurxo |
今週の #WOTW は、もう一回「back」ですけど、最後のです！約束！We’re saying bye to this word by having a look at the phrasal verbs.
- [back down] You will have to back down if you want to reach an agreement. (Withdraw a claim or assertion in the face of opposition. In North America they also say ‘back off’.)
- [back off] Hey, back off! I saw the dress first. (Draw back from action or confrontation.)
- [back out] You said you were gonna come. You can’t back out now. (Withdraw from a commitment.)
- [back up] Oh no, traffic’s backing up! We’re gonna be late again. (Of vehicles, form into a queue due to congestion.)
- [back up] It seems water’s backed up in the pipe behind the wall. If we don’t fix it, it may burst open. (Of running water, accumulate behind an obstruction.
- [back something up] I think I have to back my data up every time my computer crashes. Then, I always forget. (Make a spare copy of data or a disk.)