| - Gorka Dieitz-Sanxurxo |
今週の #WOTW は「expect」です。Were you expecting the verb ’expect’? Hopefully your answer is ‘yes’! Let’s have a look.
- The weather is not expected to change this week. (likely to happen. In this case, not likely to happen)
- One might expect to see more tourists in Tokyo as the Olympics approach. (likely to see)
- They were not expecting her to refuse the offer. (regard someone as likely to do something)
- I wasn’t expecting you until tomorrow! (believe that someone or something will arrive)
- Great things were expected from him as a child, but he grew up to disappoint everybody. (believe that someone will do something)
- As a police officer you are expected to protect people, not beat them up. (require someone to fulfill an obligation)
- Those two are not dating, I expect. (I suppose)
Now, some phrases.
- [be expecting (a baby)] I thought she was expecting but it turns out she’s not. How embarrassing! (informal for “be pregnant”.)
- [(only) to be expected] Don’t worry. He’s fifteen and confused. His behaviour is to be expected. (completely normal.)
- [what can (or do) you expect?] He’s Trump! What did you expect? (to emphasize that there was nothing unexpected about a person or event, however disappointed one might be.)