| - Gorka Dieitz-Sanxurxo |
今週の #WOTW は「world」です。’World’ is a noun and the word around which many an idiom has been created. Ready? Let’s go!
- The world is getting smaller and smaller thanks to the Internet (planet Earth and all the people, animals, plants, and thing on it)
- His policies are not very popular in the Muslim world. (a group of countries or an area)
- The opera world is kind of exclusive. (an area of human activity or understanding)
- A late card won him the game. (something that happens at the end of something)
- Do you think there are other worlds out there? (planets on which there might be life)
Now, just a few of the many idioms using the word ‘world’.
- [be worlds apart] We’re worlds apart. I don’t think we will ever be together. (be very different or far)
- [do somebody the world of good] You don’t know how much that’s helped her. You’ve done her a world of good. (make somebody feel better, healthier, or happier)
- [have the world at your feet] Taylor Swift had the world at her feet a couple of years ago. Where is she now? (be very successful)
- [in a world of one’s own] Don’t bother asking him. His in a world of his own when he’s watching TV. (not paying attention to what’s around one)
- [mean the world to somebody] You coming to the funeral meant the world to me. Thank you so much. (be very important for somebody)
- [what in the world] What in the world do you think you’re doing?! (an expression of surprise or anger)
- [the world and his wife] The world and his wife know that is not true. (everybody)
There many, many more idioms. Check them out!
発音は、イギリス英語だと/wɜːld/ アメリカ英語だと/wɝːld/です。音節は１つで、最後に「O」の音はありません。ヒント： Rを発音しないようにすると簡単です！また来週！