| - Tim Lake |
今週の #WOTW は 'admire’ です。’Admire’ is a verb with two related meanings. Let’s have a look at the differences.
In the first meaning, admire means think of with liking and respect:
- He was a good teacher and friend. He was highly respected and admired by many students.
- She is just happy with knowing that people she respects admire her work.
- I admired him for his bravery and determination in reaching the summit.
- I would like to see entrepreneurs become more admired and respected for what they give to society.
- admire their courage.
In the second meaning, admire means look at with pleasure:
- We were just admiring the roses in your garden.
- They admired the impressive mountatin scenery from the train.
- How can people stop to admire the beautiful landscape, but leave litter?!
- He couldn’t stop admiring the painting.
この単語は、英語で最もよく使われる3,000の単語のリストであるNew General Service Listからのものです。完全なリストはこちらから。