| - Tim Lake |
今週の #WOTW は 'phenomenon’ です。’Phenomenon’ is a noun with two meanings, one of which is similar to wonderful. Let’s find out.
In the first meaning, phenomenon means a fact or situation that you can see happen or exists, but can’t explain. The plural is phenomena.
- It is thought that science can explain all natural phenomena.
- Experts have to keep checking the damage done by natural phenomena such as earthquakes or typhoons.
- The Northen Lights, Aurora Borealis, are a naturally occuring phenomenon in arctic regions.
In the second meaning, phenomenon means a remarkable or wonderful thing or person:
- Godzilla is a cultural phenomenon not just a pop icon.
- Heavy metal was originally a mainly British phenomenon.
- She is a pop phenomenon just for the number of records she has sold.
この単語は、英語で最もよく使われる3,000の単語のリストであるNew General Service Listからのものです。完全なリストはこちらから。
And just for fun, here are the Muppets: