| - Tim Lake |
今週の #WOTW は ‘ratio’ です. ‘Ratio’ is a noun with a difficult meaning that comes from mathematics. Do you want to know more? Read on.
‘Ratio’ is a way of expressing the relation between two amounts. It tells you how many of one thing there are compared to another thing, so 2 to 1, means there are 2 of A for every 1 of B. It the same as saying A is double B. Here some examples:
- A basic vinaigrette dressing has an oil to vinegar ratio of 3 to 1.
- It is easier to understand if we plot the ratios on a graph.
- The ratio of jobs for men compared to woman is about 8 to 1.
- Because men tend to die younger the ratio between men and women changes significantly as that part of the population gets older.
- If the ratio is higher than 1, then the disease is spreading. And the bigger the ratio the faster it spreads.
- The ratio of average prices to averages salaries is going up.
この単語は、英語で最もよく使われる3,000の単語のリストであるNew General Service Listからのものです。完全なリストはこちらから。